- This activity lets learners participate in the process of reconstructing a phylogenetic tree and introduces them to several core bioinformatics concepts, particularly in relation to evolution. Groups of learners (at least 10) repeat a secret message (five to seven similar-sounding words) like the game "Telephone". In this version of the game, however, learners write and then code what they hear, creating a model of a phylogenetic tree and using a species distance matrix. This resource includes background information about phylogenetic trees, maximum parsimony, and matrix theory (see page 6-7 of PDF).
- Computer Science, Engineering, Information Science, Education, Life Science, Mathematics, Anthropology
- Upper Primary, Middle School, High School
- Material Type:
- Activity/Lab, Game, Lesson Plan
- Brian Mason Scientific and Technical Trust, Computer Science Unplugged, Google Inc., Jim Becker, Katrin Becker, Truman State University
- ComPADRE Digital Library
- Date Added:
- Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives
- Media Format:
- Downloadable docs, Text/HTML
No evaluations yet.